Michigan State Medicaid Waiver Program Application Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan State Medicaid Waiver Program Application Guide

Overview: There are several viable options Michigan has for waivers. We covered these two because they have the shortest waiting lists and most spots of the bunch (TEFRA has no waiting list). Please call 517-241-3740 for general information on these and other waivers from the Michigan Department of Human Health Services.

Waiver #1 Habilitation Supports Waiver

Who can apply?

Circumstance/Diagnosis: Any child or adult who is diagnosed with either an intellectual and/or developmental disability (this includes autism). The state requires that individuals need an intermediate care facility level of care to qualify. This just means that the individual is unable to get through their day without a lot of supervision.

Income: Certain fees are assessed based on the family’s ability to pay. There is no clear information on their website for this so please call (1-888-800-1559 or 517-346-8318) for additional information.

What do I get?

Their website lists benefits like: Community Living Supports designed to provide assistance to the individual in their own care, while facilitating their independence and integration into the community. Skill development is related to activities of daily living, such as bathing, dressing, grooming, and household chores. Also included but not limited to, promoting mobility, sensory-motor, communication, socialization, and community participation. Services like Occupational Therapy, Psychiatry or Nursing.

And several other resources and services.

How do I apply?

Call your local Community Mental Health Services Program to get more information.

Waiver #2: TEFRA Special Disabled Children

Who can apply?

Circumstance/Diagnosis: Any child under 18 who is diagnosed with either an intellectual and/or developmental disability (this includes autism), medical disability, or psychiatric condition. The state requires that individuals need an intermediate care facility level of care to qualify. This just means that the individual is unable to get through their day without a lot of supervision.

Income: This waiver is based on your child’s income so unless they are making any money you should be good to go.

What do I get?

The way TEFRA waivers work is that families with higher incomes are able to get all the services medicaid provides for their child. Many states have a TEFRA program or equivalent process because the cost of care for children with disabilities is so much higher than average. Check out this document for more information.

How do I apply?

You can contact your local Michigan Department of Human Services Office to apply.

What does the Goally Team Think?

The Michigan Waiver process is complicated and full of incomplete information. We found sources saying the both was and was not a waitlist for services. We think the Habilitation Supports Waiver is a good option because it has a lot of spots and great services for children with autism and can be used for life if needed. We don't like the fact that some sort of fee is required, most states don't include this sort of requirement. Overall, the process is incredibly tough to judge, so we hope you can add comments below on what we are missing!

Goally Waiver Scorecard

Website clarity and ease of navigation: 1/5

Access and requirements of qualification: 2/5

Healthcare coverage: 3/5

Other online resources for Michigan:

Michigan Family Voices is a grassroots organization that builds parent networks across the state.

The ARC Michigan can help you with all things related to disabilities including information sharing, advocacy, and employment.

This parent guide published by the state of Michigan
    Last edited by Nate; 07-06-2020, 08:40 PM.

I need need help to cover this machine for my son.

Comment

Hey Kelly, Thanks for reaching out to us. Are you a resident in Michigan and have you checked our waiver guide already?

Comment

Working...
      X