More ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More ideas

I'd love it if I could set an end time for an activity. We have morning and afternoon routines setup so that my daughter has playtime after doing the necessary steps. After playtime it's shoes/coat/go to school or wash up and dinner. I'd love to have a set time that playtime ends (the elapsed time doesn't work because it depends on how quickly she did the prior steps). We work around this by having a step to set a timer for how long playtime really is, but it would be nice if it were integrated.

I also think it would be beneficial if she could see what behaviors she earned extra points (or had points deducted) for, like a simplified form of the behavior history that's on the app.

How about a "Find my Goally" feature? Push a button in the parent app that makes the Goally beep until found.

Also some alternate skins that would appeal to older kids a little better might be a good idea. Was showing Goally to a friend who has a 5th grade ADHD-er and she thought he'd think it too young.

Comment

Hi! These are all great! So you are wanting a hard stop at the end of the activity/routine? Also, are these on scheduled or manual routines? Do you also use Minimum and Maximum times?

Comment

I love that idea for the behaviors. I will pass this on if you have any more hilary@goally.co

Comment

I will also pass on the skins and finder suggestions

Comment

The hard stop at the end of an activity is a good way to describe that. I have a max time set, but we need a way to change when it ends depending on how long the first 3/4 of the routine took. I'd like it primarily for scheduled routines, as we use a similar "get ready, play, go" approach for both before school and bedtime. Does that make sense?

Comment

Would you consider having a separate routine for playtime? It would only work if you gave ample time to do the other items before the playtime routine starts...
              Larissa Packer

Comment

Hi Larissa, Staci, This is a great feature idea! There is a way you could do that in the release that will come out in about 4 weeks where we will re-enable "Activity Compression". With the compression feature Goally will compress all activity times to make sure that the routine gets finished at the time you set in the parent app. You could put playtime as the final activity and the timer will show only as much time is left before the routine ends.

e.g. If there is a 10min pack bag activity and a 20min playtime activity remaining in the routine but the routine ends in 15 minutes, pack bag would be compressed to 5min and playtime to 10min.

Does that make sense? Does it accomplish what you are thinking?

Comment

Larissa - I'm not sure how a separate routine would work to help. Can you explain your idea more? Thanks.

Daragh - I'm not sure Activity Compression would work for this. Some activities can only be compressed so far. For example, toothbrushing (before playtime) has a minimum time of 3 minutes (1 to get toothpaste and toothbrush and 2 to do the brushing) and a max time of 6 minutes. It's impossible to compress it lower than 3-4 minutes and still do a good job. I think you'd need to be able to say which activities get compressed or the minimum they can compress to for it to work. If that were a possibility, then it would likely work.

Comment

Staci-- my thought is that you have a routine for the required steps (brush teeth, get dressed, etc.). Let's say that routine starts at 8 am and ends at 9 am. She has to finish that routine by 9 am. Then at 9:01 am, the playtime routine starts and has an end time too (like 10 am). This would only work if you were pretty confident in your estimate of how much time she takes to do her required steps. Alternatively, you could have her "earn" her playtime by getting her requireds done by a certain time, then just plug in the Goally and set the manual timer. Then over time she may get her requireds done consistently and in a set time period that you could then re-implement the Goally for the playtime routine. But yes, I agree that it would be nice to have a hard stop when a routine ends no matter what. I'd like that for getting ready for school! Activity compression (when we had that) just raised my kids' anxiety levels and nothing got done, lol!! Good luck!
                    Larissa Packer

Comment

Originally posted by Staci View Post
                      Larissa - I'm not sure how a separate routine would work to help. Can you explain your idea more? Thanks.

Daragh - I'm not sure Activity Compression would work for this. Some activities can only be compressed so far. For example, toothbrushing (before playtime) has a minimum time of 3 minutes (1 to get toothpaste and toothbrush and 2 to do the brushing) and a max time of 6 minutes. It's impossible to compress it lower than 3-4 minutes and still do a good job. I think you'd need to be able to say which activities get compressed or the minimum they can compress to for it to work. If that were a possibility, then it would likely work.
                      Good point. So how about if there was no compression but you could set the "Playtime" activity as one that continues until the scheduled routine end time, regardless of when the playtime activity starts?

Comment

Well, playtime isn't the last activity for us. After that we have 3 more - put on shoes and coat, get backpack and lunch, plug in Goally. I can estimate pretty well how long they take as she's pretty good at those, but they aren't end of routine. Does that make sense?

Comment

Staci Can you split the routine into 2 routines?

Comment

I guess I could - the second would start at a specific time. That would do it. Thanks.

Comment

Staci Let us know how it goes. Have you been able to chat with Rachel- She might have other ways to create routines and set time limits. If the playtime isn't structured you could also make the last activity set to a minimum of 1 minute and then finish when you need to.

Comment

Working...
                              X